Demystifying Elite College Admissions with Kofi Kankam
In this episode, I’m joined by co-founder and CEO of Admit Advantage, Kofi Kankam. Kofi is passionate about helping you navigate the admissions process of getting into an elite school. For over 10 years , his company successfully assists prospective students in maximizing their admissions opportunity and understanding the challenges and advantages of gaining admission to some of the most prestigious schools in the world.
If you’ve ever been discouraged about a college application or wondered whether it is possible for you to get into a good school, do not miss out on this super inspiring conversation with Kofi. He is truly a walking example of someone who succeeded even when the odds were stacked against him.
Kofi himself is a Harvard graduate twice over, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Biology and a Masters in Education. He also earned an MBA from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and is now in the process of developing a new business, Admit.me, which is currently in beta stages and free for users!
Need help with your admission applications? Kofi gives a Discount Code for 15% off Admit Advantage services in this episode.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Find out about Kofi’s background, going to public school and what kind of student he was.
- Kofi’s performance at school and more about the woman who inspired him to apply to Harvard.
- How Kofi got accepted into Harvard.
- Overcoming racial prejudice and the teachers who discouraged him from applying.
- Realizing that he had a passion for education and deciding to get a second degree.
- Why you don’t have to be ‘special’ and the factors that make it easier to get in.
- The importance of having friends and family who support you.
- Doing admissions coaching for another company and how he improved on their model.
- Starting Admit Advantage and the scope of the company as it stands today.
- How the idea of Admit.me was born, the free tools they offer and how to use them.
- Defining the term ‘under matching’ and why Admit.me is accessible even to poorer students.
- The importance of planning your admission essays and developing a strong narrative.
- Why going to college and being well educated is still important.
- And much more (ie Discount Code)!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Admit Advantage — https://www.admitadvantage.com/
Admit.me — https://www.admit.me/home
Kohi Kankam on email — firstname.lastname@example.org
Harvard University — https://www.harvard.edu/
Wharton University of Pennsylvania — https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/
37 Military Hospital — https://www.madcapnetwork.org/37-military-hospital-accra-ghana-0
University of Southern California — https://www.usc.edu/
University of Texas — https://www.utexas.edu/
Duke University — https://www.duke.edu/
Indiana University Bloomington — https://www.indiana.edu/
Black Enterprise Magazine — https://www.blackenterprise.com/
The Divine Nine — https://www.nphchq.org